Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hygge

I have not posted anything in a few days and it feels very weird! So the updating begins. Thursday was a typical day in class and so was Friday, except I did not have my Marine Biology class because my teacher is not here yet. So I got a nice long sleep in and then attended my Nordic Mythology class. After class I attempted to do laundry which I am pretty sure I washed my clothes with fabric softener and not actual detergent but thats ok. Then my friend Katherine came over and we hung out before we had our group dinner.

We decided as a Kollegium to go out to eat once a month and we decided to do that this Friday night. I was unaware that it was arctic blizzarding conditions when we went out however. I think this just made it that much more fun. Unfortunately, about 20 of us went out to eat so we had to split up, and my group ended up at this fantastic italian restaurant and I experienced my first Danish Hygge. Hygge is a very hard word to define in other cultures because it is a feeling, mostly of coziness, happiness, and comfort all rolled into one. This is how wikipedia defines it " Hygge is a complete absence of anything annoying, irritating, or emotionally overwhelming, and the presence of and pleasure from comforting, gentle, and soothing things. Hygge is often associated with family and close friends" Anyways, the point was, good food, good friends and good conversation. I have surprised myself with how quickly I have been able to click with the people here. We ended up having such an awesome time, not only did we spend probably 3 hours in the restaurant, but afterwards when we finally got back we all continued to hang out until about 1:30 in the morning.

Then I had to wake up early this morning to go to Malmo, Sweden! It was awesome! We had no plan and no map and we pretty much just walked around (in the freezing cold...) and had a great time. Eight of us went, including our new Australian friend Tom. We walked forever though, and my ugg boots got soaked all the way through. My feet were soaking wet and freezing! It was totally worth it, and I bought an awesome pair of boots that were originally about 300 dollars and I bought them for 80. I am hoping these are more waterproof since I think my uggs are going to take a while to dry out.

Anyways, our dorm is throwing all the residence a party tonight! So I am going to go get ready for that. Pictures will be posted soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment