Monday, January 18, 2010

Survival Danish

So today was our first real day of orientation, which was preceded by our opening ceremony. The opening ceremony was nice, the director of the program talked and so did 2 former students. Little did I know what they said this morning was incredibly true. The director mentioned how one of the bonds between the danish is the ability to communicate with each other in their native tongue because no other country speaks it and it is hard to learn. That was an understatement!. Part of our orientation was a class entitled survival danish where we learned to introduce ourselves among other things. The danish phrase for I go by is: Jag hedder (insert your name here). Well that is pronounced Ya hiddler, except the dd makes kind of the th sound, but there is actually no english equivalent to the sound you have to make. Anyways, when I was attempting to introduce myself to the class I accidentally said Ya Hitler... because they are very similar sounding words. We also took a trip to the grocery store and had an assignment to translate a bunch of foods which was very helpful when I had to go buy my own groceries today.

I also had my first danish danish today for breakfast, however in class today I was informed that danishes arnt actually danish. They are Austrian and Danish people refer to them as vienna bread. Huge American fail. I have no idea how that could have happened and I was slightly disappointed. I am sure all the Danish people looked at us like we were mental when we were taking pictures with our first danishes... Oh well, it was delicious in the end anyways.

The last notable thing that happened today was picking up my books this morning, which I then dragged around the entire day. I am pretty sure I had the most books out of everyone, and they weighed like 70 pounds, getting on the bus to go home was very interesting.

Tomorrow we are supposed to learn more Danish and attend another orientation session. I hope I can stay up a little later then 10:00 by then, but for now I am exhausted and am going to shower and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment