Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tall Ship Sailing!

Last weekend I signed up for the DIS trip to go tall ship sailing. I could not have picked a better way to spend my weekend! It was perfect weather, and despite it being a little chilly on the boat, it was incredibly relaxing. As soon as we boarded the boat we were divided into teams so we could help with various tasks around the ship. We started off hoisting the sails and preparing to set sail, with the help of our ship dog! Everyone on the boat was awesome and we got to know each other pretty fast, before I knew it, it was time for lunch. All the meals were cooked in the tiny tiny kitchen the entire time, which was pretty impressive. Lunch was good, and after we cleaned up we headed to shore to go on a short hike. After about an hour we headed back to the boat and sailed towards port. My group was in charge of making the cake, and we almost added 2 liters of butter into the mixture, good thing our tour leader stopped us! We reached port at about 8pm and proceeded to eat dinner. Then we I went on a night walk with a few new friends as everyone else cleaned up. After an exhausting day, we went to bed on the boat, awaiting my 4am wake up call for night watch. Just about the only good part about the night watch was getting to see the sun rise a little bit, but it was really cold and I was really tired, so I was not too happy about having to wake up then. Thankfully I got to go back to sleep at 5am and slept like a rock. The next day was spent sailing again, and I got to climb the rigging all the way up to the top! That was kind of scary. Then my group was in charge of making lunch. That was quite a challenge in the tiny kitchen, but we only had to warm things up. We arrived back to the original port at about 4pm that day, cleaned the boat, and headed on our way. It was a very awesome experience that went by way too quickly.



In other news, I am a little bruised from the soccer match I had for one of my classes, against some asylum seekers we helped in the beginning of the semester. I have hardly ever played soccer, and pretty much suck at it but it was still really fun. I only fell twice, haha. Also, I am preparing to go to Bornholm, an island about an 8 hour boat ride from Copenhagen. Hopefully the weather holds up long enough for us to bike all over the island and see some of the finest sandy beaches in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment