Thursday, April 22, 2010

Living in a Midsummer Night's Dream

I posted before that I feel like my life here in Denmark has been like a dream, and last night I got to experience dreaming on stage in the Royal Ballet Performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is safe to say that I have been going through a little theatre withdrawal, and I felt slightly homesick because last night was also my school's greek week dance competition. Needless to say I think watching the Royal Ballet perform was an acceptable remedy to both of these problems.

Last night's trip to the theatre was also a mixture of really great luck. My friend Meg and I decided that Wednesday night would be a great night to attend the ballet and were going to head to the box office to get half off tickets after classes, but i woke up to an awesome email from DIS. Essentially the Volcanic eruptions finally paid off in my favor. DIS was supposed to sponsor some sort of conference this week, and as a part of that they bought ballet tickets for those who were planning on attending. However, due to the Volcano, DIS suddenly had 500 kroner tickets (100ish dollars) on their hands with no one to attend the show. DIS then turned to the students, offering the tickets for a mere 200 kroner (35ish dollars). Meg, Miriam and I jumped at the chance and got our tickets!

We arrived at the Royal Theatre about 45 minutes before show time and struggled a slightly to find our seats. Little did we know we did not have to walk very far, because our seats were in the 9th row! Not only were our seats amazing, but a women sitting close to us informed us that the Queen of Denmark would be in attendance!!!!!! I don't think I have ever been so excited for a ballet performance! Not only is Midsummer Night's Dream one of my favorite plays, but I was very excited to see it translated into a ballet. After the Queen arrived, to a standing audience of course, the ballet started and suddenly the stage was transformed into a beautiful Shakespearian world. The dancers seemed to float across their stage in their beautiful costumes, and their ability to convey a story without the use of words fascinated me. Act 1 came to a close much faster then expected, the ballerinas had successfully transformed my world into theirs. After intermission, Act 2 started and once again my world was transformed. The wedding scene, which is the first in the act was by far my favorite and I simply did not want it to end. Time flew by again and I found myself clapping for the curtain call. The ballet was over :( However, it is safe to say that last night was one of my favorite nights in Copenhagen, and as we clapped for the performers, I glanced over at the Queen, who was absolutely beaming at the performers, and so was I.

No comments:

Post a Comment