Friday, April 16, 2010

Nice was Nice plus The Queen's Birthday!

As promised, today's post will be about my trip to Nice. Which was rather short, so I will include my Danish adventures for today! Nice was very beautiful, however, due to a sketchy hostel and a rainy day it was a little less interesting then I originally hoped. We arrived after being on the train literally all day (mostly unanticipated, thank you eurail for confusing me). Kelli and I then enjoyed all you can eat tapas, which was totally worth the wait! The next day we wandered through the town, found the beach and the flower market and hiked up the castle that led to a panoramic view of the entire city!



The hike up was a little rough, but totally worth it. We also go to see the waterfall at the top.



We also enjoyed more awesome food, including crepes and our McDonalds for France and did our typical souvenir shopping. This ended the first week of our travel break, and we headed to Florence in the morning.

However, this is not the end of this post. Today was the Queen's Birthday!!! According to most Danes that I talked to, only old people and children really care about this holiday, but, due to the United States lack of royalty I could not wait to visit the Queen in Amalienborg Palace. At noon sharp she came out with the royal family on her balcony and waved, while the band played, then she continued to parade around the city waving all the way down Strøget. This was such a cool experience! Not only did I vaguely get to see her wave from her palace, but we also got to see her closer in the parade through the streets. I think it is safe to say that between biking Wednesday, and today, I got a good amount of Danish culture this week! All I have to say is: I only have one month left! So keep it coming Denmark!!! Nordic Mythology Field Trip tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment