Friday, March 26, 2010

Terry's Visit and Amsterdam recap/ Spring Break Here I Come!!!

After a very stressful week, with no time to blog, I am finally able to sit down and recap about the past 2 weeks. This week is very easy, full of about 20 pages worth of writing and trying to squeeze in those last skype dates before I leave without my computer for the next 2 weeks. But last week was incredibly eventful!

It started with Terry's arrival on Friday morning. After introducing him to all my friends at dinner and hanging out for a while, we went to sleep early in preparation for our big day Saturday. We headed out to Malmo, Sweden, it was much better the second time around! This was probably due to the amazing weather. We also did not really have a plan this time and ended up walking around the town and through a really nice park. We also had amazing timing and ended up jumping on a train back to Copenhagen right before it started to rain.

Sunday I had to wake super early for a field study in my Biology of Marine Mammals class to Esbjerg where there is a seal and porpoise research lab. Esbjerg was about a 4 hour bus ride away, and when we got there we started our dissections of stranded seals. I think for most people, the description of this is slightly graphic so I will skip it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Then we had a chance to walk through the small museum and visit with the seals they have. I also had the chance to go to the beach and touch a stingray! Overall this field study was a lot of fun, despite the fact that I was up at 4:45 and got home around 11.


Monday is now officially burger day. This really awesome restaurant has half price hamburgers, so of course we had to check it out. This is now our Monday night spot!

Tuesday Terry and I visited the Round Tower in between my classes, and it was the perfect day to do so. After walking up the winding ramp all the way to the top, we got the best view of Copenhagen possible. The Round Tower is the Empire State Building of New York, only much much smaller, but the view is the same. Then after my class we went to the State Museum for Art. there they had a very cool art exhibit on global warming, as well as some Danish art.

Wednesday was a huge day for Terry and I. First I had an exam, then we headed to Rosenborg Palace to see the castle and the kings gardens.


Then we headed to Fredriksborg Castle



After that we watched the St. Patrick's Day parade and then headed to a modern art museum called Louisiana. It was an exhausting day for sure, but I was very happy finally see all the Copenhagen things that I have not had the time to see. Thursday after class Terry and I headed to the airport to go to Amsterdam!!!!

We arrived in Amsterdam late, found our hostel, got some dinner and went to bed, although I am pretty sure I did not sleep very well. Sleeping in a room with 20 other strangers is something that takes a few nights to get used to. Friday we woke up early and headed to the Van Gogh Museum. Unfortunately it was a rather rainy day, but nevertheless we walked around a lot, grabbed a nice lunch and walked around some more. I kind of thought Amsterdam was overrated to be honest. The weather was not very good, so that might have had something to do with it, but the majority of the time we did not have very much to actually do. We ended the night with a tour of the red light district.

The next morning we headed to the Anne Frank House to meet up with my friends. This was probably my favorite part of Amsterdam. Then we jumped on a short walking tour, and grabbed lunch at an awesome Mexican restaurant (finally!), saw the flower market and hid from the rain. My friend Maddy knew some other people in Amsterdam, so we met up with them for dinner and they showed us around for a little while.

Sunday morning Terry left for home and I met up with my friends to hang out in Amsterdam for the rest of the day. We did a canal cruise, which was awesome since for the first time it had stopped raining and walked around enjoying the nice weather. Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the airport and I finally got back to my bed in Copenhagen late on Sunday night.



Officially my spring break has started! I am just finishing up packing and doing my laundry! I leave tomorrow afternoon and head to Madrid. I can hardly wait! Kelli and I are headed south and going to cover 4 countries, or 7 cities in 2 weeks! There will definitely be one long blog entry as soon as I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment