Saturday, February 13, 2010

One Looooong Week!

The week began with a small accident. Unfortunately, Kelli got hit by a bike, causing her to hit her head and bleed quite a lot. We found out the hard way that the Danish medical system is much different then ours, resulting in a different style of treatment. Rather unsatisfactory in my opinion and Kelli's as well, but Kelli is fine and 5 days later shows almost no injury at all!

Then Wednesday I had 2 field studies. The first one was incredible! With my Biology of Marine Mammals class we went to the zoological museum, which also doubles as a research center for the University of Copenhagen. They house over 10 million samples of animals, which is in the top 5 biggest collection of samples in the world. We began in the basement where we got to see the whale bones. The were enormous!!! I was fascinated, I probably could have stayed down there for hours. The whale heads were crazy big, we saw baleen whales and sperm whales and everything in between.



After that we went upstairs to another room that housed more marine mammals, the rest of the mammals as well as reptiles. There were shelves and shelves of bones as far as you could see. I saw an orca's scull as well as a hippo and many other incredibly interesting specimens. Once again, I could have spent hours in this room. It was probably the worlds biggest puzzle seeing as most everything was kept in pieces for easy storage instead of assembled.



After visiting all the bones, and also taking a quick peek at the exhibition area, which reminded me of the Natural History Museum, I had to run to my next field study for my Cross Cultural Encounters class (literally run...). This field study was slightly less exciting for me, but I did find it interesting. Essentially we got to hear from representatives from integration groups in Copenhagen. I was surprised to find that they have a lot of programs in the works to attempt to get immigrants integrated.

As if my day wasnt long enough as it was, I then went to the Global Climate Change Seminar. One of the things I look forward to every other week. This week our speaker discussed oceans and how they are important in mitigating in climate change. I learned an incredible amount and thought she was an amazing speaker. I am looking forward to the next seminar for sure. Finally, I came home and needed to write my first paper for my Hans Christian Andersen class. Which went well I hope! I had an amazing day Wednesday, but I am very excited to have this next Wednesday off.

Thursday was a long day as well. I had class all day and then had my very first wine tasting class. It was very cool, I had no idea you could learn so much about wine in 1 hour. I am beginning to get very intrigued in the art of drinking wine and look forward to my next class. Unfortunately I had to leave class early to attend a debate for my Cross Cultural Encounters class, which was crazzzzy. We had 2 people representing opposite political parties on immigration issues and the room got quite heated. I had no idea that you could have so many opinions about integration/immigration. I had never really seriously debated the details of people entering your country. I am certainly glad our teacher provided us with this rare glimpse into the world of Danish politics.

Then came Friday. Finally! I was so glad the week was over, and I was supposed to go see my visiting family for the first time. However, due to poor planning I somehow missed them at the train station :( Not to worry I have plans to see them tomorrow!

Saturday I slept in and got a chance to see Valentines Day which was soooo good. I kinda teared up a little towards the end, I felt very dumb, but I think anyone with a military family will understand where I am coming from, but I don't want to give away too much of the movie. Thats all for now. This week promises to be much slower and I can't wait to see my visiting family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment